Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Week 4 post op - It's just a jump to the left...

...And then a step to the right.

Week four was interesting. Things started off well, took a dip, then picked back up. I had a rough few days last week. I maintained my five miles a day on foot and continued stretching each day, but my low back started to get especially cranky, which made me jittery. A persistent burning sensation set in, followed by a familiar tightness that I was hoping I had left behind in Germany. But I calmed down and reminded myself that this recovery won't always be a march forward. Sometimes a lateral move isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if new pains replace old pains.

I hit the Santa Monica stairs again this morning and was able to actually push hard enough that I was winded half way up. I'm sticking to two laps per day for this week so I don't overwhelm my quads and hamstrings, which haven't seen any real action in so long they had all but closed shop for the winter. I've increased my daily output to six miles for this week, and finally picked up a decent pair of trail running shoes which have helped tremendously! 

My tolerance for sitting and standing hasn't increased much, but my comfort levels have. I'm good for about 20 minutes in a restaurant before I need to stand up and walk around. But I don't stand in one spot for too long. I'm constantly bobbing and weaving to keep things loose. Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee! Basically, I feel better when I'm moving, so I guess I can't stop moving. I'm like a Great White shark - If I stop, I die!

Where I notice marked improvements are while doing routine motions. Two weeks ago I had to hold onto the car door and gently lower myself into the seat, making sure not to twist. Last night I nonchalantly stepped into my car, and it wasn't until I turned the key in the ignition that I realized I hadn't braced myself before getting in. Another positive sign is the sneeze test. Two weeks ago even the hint of a sneeze left me petrified. But I sneezed not two minutes ago, and the laser like sharp pain has been replaced by mild discomfort.

So, four weeks out and I'm feeling OK. I stopped taking any pain meds before I left Germany and haven't reached for so much as an Ibuprofen since my return. Pain levels continue to fluctuate, but are definitely moving in the right direction. Mechanical pain seems to be decreasing, and remaining active helps keep my back and hips relaxed. I'm still limited in my movements, but slowly regaining my flexibility. My left hammy and groin still aren't quite as loose as the right, but it's getting close.

Again, I'm guarded, but optimistic!

1 comment: