Thursday, March 6, 2014

"I'm sorry, my English isn't so good..."

Just about every German health care professional I've come across at the hospital and rehab center has immediately apologized to me for speaking, in their opinion, poor English. Never mind the fact that, with the exception of a couple instances, I've been able to communicate just fine with every nurse, doctor and therapist. And when we were stuck on a word or phrase Google Translator was a great resource.

And not once have I been met with even the slightest tinge of impatience over the fact that I speak no German. This has been a humbling experience on several levels, not the least of which has been how gracious and kind everyone has been, from the doctors and nurses to the servers in the cafes.

No comments:

Post a Comment