Tuesday, March 4, 2014

“I think insomnia is a sign that a person is interesting”

If that's the case I should be in those Dos Equis commercials.

I'm hanging on by my fingernails in the sleep deprivation department. I haven't quite been able to shut my eyes for more than a few hours and it's starting to feel like I'm in the 'Space Madness' episode of Ren and Stimpy. I'm off to tempt fate once more, but before I lay down here's a quick update.

I had a number of appointments today, including some bodywork. I needed a massage like Marlon Brando needed french fries. While it helped, it was short lived, and my back curled right back up into the unbreakable knot it's been for the past week. The pain is still refusing to let go, but I was able to move around a fair amount today. I also started some basic exercises in the gym, but I'm pretty limited at the moment, so walking will be my primary source of training for a while. The pain is a combination of joint, bone and muscle. I'll settle for one out of three taking a vacation.

I'm starting to put back some of the weight I lost, so hopefully I won't be a skeleton when I get home. One good sign is the pain in my stomach is subsiding and I can actually use my stomach muscles now without feeling like the wound is going to split wide open. This definitely helps with getting in and out of bed.

My doctor here is still confident things are going to start falling into place, so I'm putting my faith in his experience. One of the many things I like about this place is that many of the doctors walk around in regular clothes and leave the white lab coat in the closet. It helps to create a collaborative environment between health care professionals and goes a long way towards eliminating the hierarchical structure that US hospitals like to foster. 

Anyways, time to sleep. Or at least the illusion of sleep.

Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment