Monday, March 3, 2014

Now this is rehab!

I know it's fashionable to bash the US while in Europe, but there is nothing like Medicos Health Center in the states. This place is an Orthopedist's Disneyland. The've got every possible angle covered, from physiotherapy to occupational therapy to massage to fitness, you name it. Medicos is the definition of comprehensive medical care.

I'm scheduled throughout each day for a variety of treatments. I visit with a doctor every day to monitor my progress, and I'm encouraged to knock on his door for any reason at any time. Seriously!? I have blood tests done to ensure there's no infections, lymph node massages, regular massages, electrotherapy treatments to reduce pain, exercise therapy...c'mon! And it's connected to my hotel!

There are cafes where people with various injuries hang out, sip coffee, eat pastries and the restaurant serves up some tasty dishes, including the homemade ratatouille I had for lunch. I've even got a reserved table specifically for patients of Dr. Bierstedt.

The place treats about 2000 people per day, with all manner of injuries, but it seems like most of them are knee related based on the high number of people walking around with canes. It's refreshing to see elderly people and professional athletes all receiving the same care. It feels like a huge, high-class gym with doctors and nurses.

One of the reasons I chose Dr. Bierstedt was because of the after care program they organized through Medicos. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. The doc at Medicos said that my incision is healing much better than normal and that swelling is low. I think the Wobenzym may have had something to do with that. He said about 50% of disc replacement patients experience increased pain after surgery due to soft tissue damage, which can take 2-3 weeks to heal. In the meantime his priority for me is to get the muscles in my low back and hips to relax and reduce the spasms. Bring on the massage!

Oh, and I lost about 8 pounds while in the hospital. I guess living on clear soup every day for a week will do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment