Sunday, March 23, 2014

Gettin' Rowdy

I managed two laps on the Santa Monica stairs today. I could have done more, but I know if I pushed it my hamstrings and quads would have been useless for the next week. After only two laps I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow. My back didn't feel too bad while climbing the stairs, but going down I took very light steps. The back was tight, but no serous pain. It was the first time I've raised my heart rate above 130 since last summer, and I actually got a little light headed near the top. Nice to finally activate my glutes, too!

It's rare to hit the SM stairs and not run into a celebrity or two. Normally you see a lot of character actors and pro athletes on weekends. Today, UFC champ Rowdy Ronda Rousey was training at the stairs. That is one solid woman. She fights at 135, but she easily walks around 20 pounds heavier, and she wears it well. And no, I didn't take any pictures. Only tourists who aren't used to seeing the occasional celebrity reach for their cell phones at the first sight of someone famous.

So, today felt promising. Being sedentary feels worse than moving around. I still can't stand in one spot for more than a few minutes and sitting for more than 20 is difficult, as well. But climbing stairs feels pretty good...so far.

4 comments:

  1. Ian, I am sincerely hope you will be fully recovered! I have a herniated disc C 5/6 and of course the docs here want to fuse it. I'm looking for options such as M6-C ADR in Europe. Since you have traveled the journey, would it be possible for me to contact you to learn from your experience? BTW, I'm Californian too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ly! Absolutely, I'd be happy to talk with you. Part of the reason I'm keeping this blog is to help anyone else with spine problems who are considering ADR.

      My email is ian.t.gillies@gmail.com. Drop me a line and I can send you my phone number if you wanna talk, or feel free to ask anything by email.

      Cheers,
      - Ian

      Delete
  2. You know, after 8 years in Malibu, the only one I asked for an autograph was Johnny Rotten. The rest of 'em, I did a pretty decent job pretending they were flies on the wall. I think they mostly appreciated that as well.

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd break my rule to get Mr. Rotten's autograph, too.

      Delete