Friday, March 21, 2014

Nice rack


I've been unable to ride any one of my five neglected bikes since last July. Actually, I haven't been able to even look at them. I thought of removing the bike rack from the Mighty Fit, but each time I consider this it feels like I'm giving up. So I left the rack in place to serve as a bumper guard for now and also as an incentive for getting healthy again so I can get back to pedaling.

Today is March 21, exactly three months from the summer solstice, which I have penciled in as my return to cycling. My ultimate goal is to be back on a mountain, any mountain, crushing climbs and descents on my single speed, but that's much further into the future. For my immediate plans I'll settle for tarmac.

As for my current status, the past few days haven't produced any real big changes. A fairly strong, constant ache has taken root in my low back, but the sharp pains have almost gone away.  Not exactly progress as I've swapped one pain for another, but it's not a step backwards either, so I'll take it.

The tightness in my groin and hips is fading thanks to the massage work, and my downward dog is getting easier to slip in to. My goal for this weekend is to tackle the Santa Monica stairs. 180 steps. Easy peasy.

2 comments:

  1. Drewrad: Ian, is that low back pain the result of bone shock do you think? I just wonder if there's such a thing as bone pain until ossteo-integration works itslef into the verterbral endplates, then ultimately begins to fade.

    We all know about the other structures that cause pain like muscles, nerves etc. BTW, how are your nerves? Did you get any distraction pain with a one level?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly couldn't say. Since I've got other things going on in my back besides the disc it could be joint related, bone pain, muscle, who knows. Bone pain is a possibility, but I have no way of saying for sure.

      I've never had distraction pain so much as tingling and numbness. I experience weakness and some tingling sensation down my left leg, but it's not what I'd consider pain. It was no worse after the surgery than before. Most of my pain feels mechanical rather than nerve related.

      I'm probably going to scale back the walking over the next couple days and see if that makes a difference.

      Delete