Saturday, March 15, 2014

"I'll take the hammy on rye, extra tight."

I've always focused on flexibility, specifically my hamstrings, IT band and piriformis. As expected, all of the muscles and tissue leading into my pelvis and hips are tighter than a mosquito's sphincter. Prior to surgery I could easily bend at the waist and place the palms of my hands on the floor. Now I can't even get my legs close to a 90 degree angle while laying on my back.

There's a certain, satisfying burn you feel in your piriformis when you stretch it out. Like scalding hot water trickling down your spine.  Unfortunately, when I attempt to stretch, that burn feels more like a raging wildfire at the moment. My body is holding onto the area in my left hip and SI joint like a hub cap in the fast lane.

My right hammy isn't that bad. I can manage to get into downward facing dog without too much drama. But the left leg isn't very happy when I try to straighten it. However, this is progress, because a week ago downward dog was a pipe dream. I'm sure the regular chiropractor treatments are helping greatly by opening up my hips and allowing me to move more freely.

That being said, I just sneezed and #$!&@% that hurt! I managed to let all the air escape painlessly with the first sneeze, but the second one hit harder and caused a momentary full body seize. I've never been a sneezer. Seriously, why now!? I can't seem to get through the day without a couple sneezing episodes. Talk about bad timing. The worst part is anticipating the sneeze and bracing for the pain. Your mind says relax, but your body says contract. Mind, tell the body to shut up!

Anyways, I'm walking around a combined 2-3 miles a day and started doing some light stretching and core work. Pain levels continue to fluctuate and I haven't had what I'd consider to be a good day yet, but it feels like I'm moving in the right direction. The tingling and numbeness/weakness in my left leg comes and goes, but while walking to the beach and back this morning my hips did feel slightly less wobbly than a week ago. Another small victory!


No comments:

Post a Comment