Sunday, March 2, 2014

Cab ride form hell!

I've arrived at the Marriot in Gelsenkerchen. The hotel is next to a huge soccer stadium and rehab center. It's pretty sweet. Unfortunately the ride from the hospital was an exercise in 'keeping my fists in check'.

The cabbie is from Turkey, and didn't speak English. But I don't speak Turkish, so it all evens out. When we got into Gelsenkirchen the Carnival parade was kicking off. It's a fairly big deal and several streets were closed to traffic. Apparently it's a family affair, and thousands of parents and their kids lined the streets. Rather than take the long way around the cabbie decided to drive up and down all the narrow, bumpy neighborhood streets so he could cross the parade route. With each dejection he got more and more agitated, which caused him to drive like a pissed-off yuppie during rush hour on the 405 in West LA.

With each slam of his brakes and stomp on the gas pedal my back started screaming! He kept looking at me, expressing his frustration and shrugging his shoulders as if I was commiserating. I told him, "Not my problem, figure it out. You're really causing me pain, so I don't care how angry you are, relax!" Of course it meant nothing to him.

So what should have been a pleasant 30 minute drive turned into a one hour joyride to Pain Town.

I did, however, find the Carnival costumes interesting. Unlike Brazil, or San Francisco Carnival parades where people don elaborate ensembles fit for a Las Vegas stage, the people of Germany dress up as clowns, superheroes, jailbirds...basically your average Halloween costume. I'm sure there's a reason for these outfits. And I shall investigate!

Anyways, I start rehab tomorrow. But tonight, I finally eat non hospital food!

No comments:

Post a Comment