Tuesday, May 27, 2014

3 months post op - Magic Time!

So, based on other disc replacement patients I've spoken with, the three month mark seems to be when most people start feeling like they're turning the corner. Now I had allowed myself to start feeling good about my progress around week 6, then around week 8 things went all cockeyed. So call me superstitious, but I'm not gonna start doing any cartwheels just yet when I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Because it just might be a freight train.

But...

About 4 days ago I did start feeling noticeably better. And each day since I've experienced improvements in mobility and my overall wellbeing. Maybe the meditation has something to do with it, who knows. I'm not throwing any parties yet, but I do feel better. So I celebrated my 3 month mark with my cousin by getting a happy buzz at happy hour in Venice.

Cheers!
My flexibility is returning, and my piriformis is getting much more limber. The numbness and tingling in my left leg has all but disappeared and my strut is getting back in full Saturday Night Fever mode. I was supposed to meet with my doc today to go over my 3 month xrays, but he had to reschedule till Thursday. I know my body well enough to say I'm ready to start tackling stairs again and reboot my rehab program. But I plan to slowly integrate more movement into my program and keep close tabs on how I respond. My lumber and thoracic seem to tighten up when I walk more than a couple miles, but seems to remain in check. The disjointed feeling I experienced in my hips and sacrum area has died down, which was my main concern.

So all is good for the moment. But I know how quickly things can change on a dime, and I'm appreciating each step forward right now.

Celebrities seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately. I ran into Chris Bell, the filmmaker behind, 'Bigger, Stronger, Faster'. It's a documentary about steroids and performance enhancing drugs. Great movie. I spoke with him briefly and told him how much I enjoyed his film. Nice guy who really seems to appreciate when people give him props.

And seated across from me while eating a mile high pastrami sandwich at Jerry's Deli in Marina Del Rey was adult entertainment performer, Janine Lindemulder. She's a little hard to miss seeing as how she's covered in colorful ink, and looks pretty damn good if I must say so.

Otherwise the recovery train keeps rolling along. My beer buzz is starting to wear off and I think it's time for bed. 

Goodnight my friends! 




No comments:

Post a Comment