Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Week 10 post op - This little piggy went wee, wee, wee...

Here we are, a few weeks shy of the magic three month mark. Not where I was hoping to be, but I need to admit to myself that I set my bar fairly high. I can't really gauge my progress in days at the moment, more like weeks. Since I was making big strides early on it's difficult to take a step back. I'm not built to sit and spectate. It's just not in my DNA. But I'm reluctantly sticking to this whole rest thing. Seriously, how do couch potatoes do it!?

But when I take an honest look at my current state I can't deny that I'm feeling better than I was two weeks ago when I fell off the proverbial cliff. My back is constantly tight, with some lovely burning around my SI joints, but those pesky electrical shocks haven't returned. The numbness in my left leg and foot have subsided a bit. It's not nearly as white hot as it was, but it's still lingering, like a half-starved hyena skulking around a stripped-clean elephant corpse in the Serengeti trying to keep the jackals at bay.

I did sustain a new injury that is probably a blessing in disguise now that I've had time to think about it. I slipped down some steps over the weekend and my left foot got wedged in the stair railing and snapped my damn pinky toe! So even if I wanted to go for a hike I'm now forced to take it easy with a new fracture to add to my lifetime collection of over 30 broken bones. Maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something. I can still walk around, just not with quite as much vigor. I figure it'll take another few weeks before I can really push off the toe with any real force. Kind of convenient how that coincides with the three month mark? Coincidence my ass! Damn you, Universe!

But enough about my sedentary existence. I'd rather talk about my visit with the woman who has been occupying space in a corner of my mind for the past 23 years. It's amazing how certain people can stop time. The past couple of decades felt like they had never happened the moment I saw her. Spending time with her is effortless, so perfectly natural. She's the kind of person you can't help but be drawn towards. Strangers find themselves talking with her as comfortably as they would an old friend. She simply has a way of making you feel happy to be in her presence. Needless to say, I smiled more in the 4 days I spent with her than I have in the past 4 months. And now that corner of my mind has expanded to accommodate the overflowing ocean that are my thoughts of her.

To love and healing! Can't have one without the other.


No comments:

Post a Comment