Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Week 12 post op - This speech is my recital, I think it's very vital

I seem to have plateaued recently. This week saw no real change, but that's not necessarily bad news. The broken toe is doing well enough that I can walk normally and push off my foot with near full force, but I'm still taking it very easy. I haven't increased my walking output, and will continue to pace myself for another week when I see the doc for my three month check up. 

I had dinner with a friend of mine at her mountain side estate over looking Los Angeles and was able to toss around a baseball with her young son. I wasn't exactly shagging flies like the Say Hey Kid, but it did feel good to move in something vaguely reminiscent of my active days. While each toss of the ball caused me to stiffen up in preparation of the lightning bolts of pain, all I felt was the ever present burning in my low back that I can't seem to shake.

My tolerance for sitting has improved slightly. I was able to sit long enough to watch Godzilla destroy San Francisco without wanting to put a bullet in my head, so that's good news. Or maybe it was just the calming effect of seeing San Francisco being leveled by a giant CGI lizard that soothed my back. Either way, it wasn't an unpleasant experience.

Celebrity sighting of the week - While in line at a local health food restaurant I saw none other than Mr. Def Jam himself, Russell Simmons. He was quite pleasant and took photos with anyone who asked. A woman next to me asked who he was. I explained to her that he's a big shot music producer, founder of Def Jam, fashion icon, etc. She had no idea who he was. But apparently seeing other people ask for a photo made her feel he was famous so she asked for a photo as well. I was afraid to mention Run DMC to her because I would have gotten all kinds of angry if she gave me a look that said, 'Who?'

Anyways, I'm creeping up on the magic three month mark. I had some lofty goals by this time, and I haven't met most of them. Looks like I'll need to retrench and come up with a new, more realistic plan of attack for the next three months. 

Until then, burn the candle at both ends, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment