Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Week 7 post op - Rest Day

Short and sweet this week. I pushed a little hard the past couple days, so I've decided to take it easy today. But easy these days means a leisurely 7 miles on foot, so I'll take it. The low back is feeling pretty good. I did experience some light spasms on Monday while doing the stairs. Well, it was actually after banging out some push ups in between climbs, but it settled down once I had some coconut fried chicken at Cha Cha Chicken.

My chiropractor believes the change in lumbar lordosis has caused me to lead more with my head, which I already do. I've always had poor posture and rounded shoulders and my neck cranes forward. He said it's visibly increased since surgery. As a result all of the muscles in my neck and upper back are compensating by grabbing hold and refusing to let go. So I gotta focus on lengthening my upper back and hopefully things will start to relax in time.

Frustrating, but if it's a choice between back and neck pain, I'll take the neck pain. I'm able to sit longer now, so meals have become more enjoyable. Standing still causes discomfort, but not as quickly as before. My conditioning is still improving and I'm able to sustain longer periods of exercise before my low back tightens up.

If my neck felt as good as my back I'd be in heaven right about now. But I'm getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment