Tuesday, April 8, 2014

6 weeks post op - And now for something completely different



I've decided to celebrate each weekly anniversary by doing something new, even if it's just for a brief moment. So today I dusted off the bitchin' do-everything commuter, and rode around the block. Took all of a couple minutes, but it was a glorious couple of minutes. It's been almost 9 months since I pedaled a bike, and the simple act of turning a crank felt incredible. With that said, I'm definitely not ready to absorb bumps while in the saddle.

I turned up the intensity level this past week. I increased the number of stairs and started swimming. My back got a little cranky towards the end of the week, but it's since settled down and is now feeling fairly decent, actually. However, my neck is officially a mess. I've always had periodic neck problems. Like most people I'd wake up with the occasional stiff neck, but nothing to write home about. For some reason, as my low back improves, my neck gets worse. Go figure. I've got a perma-headache at the base of my skull and I can't turn side to side easily, but I never did have great mobility in that department. So something new for my chiropractor to play with.

I'm averaging about 7-8 miles a day on foot and the series of resistance exercises I've been doing for my SI joints and low back have been going well. The pull up bars at the beach have been calling my name, so that's my next challenge.

Otherwise, still moving forward.

1 comment:

  1. Ian,
    Congratulation! I really admire your courage! Nothing will prevent you from fully recover.

    ReplyDelete