Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Dippin' the Skinny!


Went for my first swim today. On the advice of another disc replacement patient, I picked up a pair of small 'fitness' flippers. They help me kick with less effort and make it easier to keep my hips elevated. I was extremely tentative as I dangled my legs over the edge, but I pushed off and quickly found my stroke. I felt pretty good for about the first 20 laps, then my low back started tightening up. I like round figures, so I kept going until I hit a half mile, or 36 laps. 

I stepped out of the pool slowly, a little uncertain and tight, but once I started walking I loosened up a bit. I think the unknown is the biggest hurdle to clear when doing something for the first time. But once you get past the fear the uncertainty is trumped by confidence. 

Ironically, my right shoulder hurts more than my back right now. After multiple separations and other assorted shoulder injuries it's basically hamburger meat. I'm sure I'll need surgery on this wing at some point, but that's a mountain to climb for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment