Saturday, April 19, 2014

Old dog, new constraints

If you've never seen what's behind the curtain, you never consider what could be. You're more easily satisfied with life, content with resting while the world spins furiously. At the moment, I envy these people.

Unfortunately, I've seen what exists beyond the horizon, and I can't pretend to be happy when I know from personal experience what is possible. Yeah, I know, I need to be realistic, I need to step back and consider the severity of my surgery and what ultimately landed me on the surgeons table - a long life burning my fuse until nothing was left.

A friend is visiting me in lovely LA, and we spent yesterday strolling around Venice beach. Nothing has changed in Venice since I was a scrawny, bronzed surf grommet. I think the vendors are even selling the same sunglasses from 30 years ago. We walked, talked, watched the guy juggling swords and playing the bagpipes while riding a 10 foot tall unicycle. We traveled about 10 miles on foot yesterday, and about a mile from home my back started to really protest. So we found a patch of grass and laid down for a while to let my angry spine calm down. We finally made it home, but it was clear my back wasn't going to stop complaining, so I vowed to take it easy for a couple days.

So this morning my friend and I hit the Santa Monica stairs and cranked out 5 laps. Yeah, I know, I never said I was the sharpest marble in the bag. Should I have rested? Probably. But this old dog sometimes needs to learn the hard way. I know, I know, there are some people who check into my blog who I expect to put me on blast. I deserve it, blast away. I won't argue. There's no damage done to my back, I just over did it a little. So I'm going to take it easy for a while. No, really, I mean it this time.

Peace out, bean sprouts!


1 comment:

  1. In response to the first paragraph;

    http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/republic.8.vii.html

    Stone

    ReplyDelete