Monday, June 30, 2014

Back on the Island

I'm back in Alameda. My Island. Yeah, it's mine!

I stopped by Speisekammer with a couple friends. It's a local German spot with a nice selection of brew and some tasty dishes, too! I'm a poet and didn't even know it!

Anna and Tanya getting tipsy

Alameda is a small town in the San Francisco Bay, a quick 20 minute ferry boat ride to Downtown San Francisco, but this might as well be Anytown, USA. It's only been 8 months since I left, but feels like 8 years. Even though it's nice to move on to something new, Alameda will always feel like home.

So, the past few days have been pretty decent. That little backslide I experienced for a couple days last week is in my rearview and I've been getting in some good walks and urban hikes and haven't felt any of that annoying burning lately. I seem to have established this pattern of taking two steps forward and one step back lately, which is a lot better than the opposite. But as long as I'm moving forward it's all good.

Next stop, 40K!

My hamstrings are feeling a lot better lately and I've been able to get into some fairly deep stretches without taxing my back too much. My downward dog is finally starting to return. I'm still reluctant to start pushing it yet and plan to continue this easy climb back. I figure at the rate I'm progressing, by 6 months I will hopefully be ready to start really pushing my rehab. Being cautious has never been my strong suit, so this whole taking it easy business is an entirely new experience. It's taken a while to develop a patient approach, but I'm starting to (reluctantly) settle into this new role.

One nice treat before I left Santa Cruz was the opportunity to hang out with my friend's kid, Benjamin. Bennie is one sweet kid and a blast to hang out with. 

Future heartbreaker

I'll be hanging out in Alameda a little longer than expected before driving up to Oregon, which is fine with me. Gives me a chance to get back to island living.

Aloha!


2 comments:

  1. Hey, you can always stop by here on your way up or down.

    You know where I live.

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you hear any splashing late at night don't worry, it's just me playing in your pool.

      Delete