Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pedi makes it all better

I was a little wound up with my last post. So my cousin and I went and got our pedi on today. Nothing like some proper foot care to soothe your soul.

Guess which is me...

Since I didn't mention how things are going in my previous rant, I figured a quick round up was in order. I've stepped up the exercise a bit. Nothing too crazy, mainly spirited walks. I'm doing about 5 miles each morning with a lot of hill repeats. Short, steep hills where I can drive off the balls of my feet and really engage the old glutes. I push hard enough uphill to break a sweat and actually get my heart rate above 120. My biggest issues right now are being sedentary. Sitting and standing still present the biggest problems, but this area is improving slowly. Some days I can sit down to a good meal in peace, some days not so much.

I spend my rehab doing a combination of postural correction movements and stretching. Honestly, I feel like I could do much more, but I'm playing it safe for now. I learned my lesson the hard way once not to rush things, and will let my body be the judge of when to unleash the hounds. One promising indication that things are improving is that I can easily do 70+ continuous stomach crunches without pain. I'm tight, but when I contract my stomach I experience no sharp pains that prior to surgery would have been impossible to perform. And I can bend at the waist and touch my toes! Next stop, the floor!

I'm planning a road trip to the Bay Area, Tahoe and Oregon and a little concerned about the toll the driving will take on my back, but I'm going to stop at every pie stand along the way to give my spine a break and fill my belly. I've been in LA since last November, away from my peoples up north and it's time I reconnected.

Hey Paule, fire up that grill, heat up the hot tub and get those margaritas ready!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment