Thursday, July 3, 2014

8 Mile


Indeed

More like 8 and a half. I managed to manhandle my biggest workout yesterday. I eeked out an 8.5 mile hike with about 1500 feet of climbing. As expected, walking downhill is the hardest part, but the uphill climbs felt good. I'm very conscious of how I plant my feet and absorb energy on steep descents. Who knew your knees could act like shock absorbers!? I stopped and rested a couple times when my back tightened up, but overall felt pretty decent and was able to push off my feet without any pain. There were numerous short, steep hills and one long climb that forced me to elevate my heart rate. I miss feeling my ticker pump hard. Being winded is a glorious feeling!

Natures lawn mowers
It's a popular loop in the East Bay hills that circles around a huge valley with an intricate network of singletrack trails favored by mountain bike hating hikers. I stuck with the fireroad to play things safe. But I'm building back up towards tackling more technical trails with varied terrain. Inching closer and closer to getting back on the bike!


Room with a view

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with my effort. I was very tight and stiff after the hike, but once I sat down and rested my weary bones I felt OK and was able to enjoy a nice meal with a friend in relative comfort. Exercise itself is less of a concern so much as the recovery, and once my back settled down after the hike I was relieved knowing I can handle such efforts and feel a lot better about slowly increasing my output. Operative word being slowly. Not taking any chances this time! I think that's called growth. Damn, I hate this getting old and patient stuff!

Now where's that Everest mountain place people say is tough?

No comments:

Post a Comment