Thursday, February 27, 2014

The simple things...

Like enjoying a lazy afternoon reading a good book, or savoring the perfect carne asada taco, or watching the sun set over the Pacific Ocean on cool winter evening, or...taking a poop! Yeah, I know, too much information, but I don't care. If you've had surgery that required being under a general anesthetic you will understand the relief one experiences after finally evacuating your system for the first time.

So, Day 2 starts off with an exhilarating stroll around the 6th floor. I attempted a lap record this morning and broke yesterday's time by 5 seconds! I think I can shave off another 1.4 seconds if I take the turns a little bit tighter.

I'm back on solid foods. I like a good soup, but I think I'm souped out at this point, and it's nice to eat things that I actually need to chew. I haven't had any leafy greens in far too long.  If someone could mail me a big basket of kale I'd be ever so grateful! Otherwise everything is steadily improving. My abdominal pain is slowly decreasing and the pain in my back is tolerable. I do need to be careful, however, and watch closely how I move and pay attention to body mechanics. I very softly brushed my hip against my bed getting up this morning and was quickly reminded with a double dose of stabbing pain that I've got a long way to go.  I've all but stopped taking pain meds, with the exception of a happy pill before bedtime.

I've got a few more days in the hospital before starting rehab, but I'm passing my time by learning German phrases from the nursing staff.

Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment