Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The wheels keep on turning

Hello, Friends!

Well, it's been a while, but if you don't hear from me these days it's because I've been so busy I haven't had much time to write. Borders have been criss-crossed, mountains conquered and dragons slayed!

Where to begin! One goal on this journey is that I haven't made any goals. I haven't preselected any particular direction or followed a specific path. I've simply pointed The Biscuit forward and chased sunsets. I follow suggestions of locals, explore landscapes and hidden treasures that look interesting, and never turn down an opportunity that looks promising. And so far it's been working for me.

As you already know, the bike is my preferred means of mountain transportation. Some people hike, others like to climb, and during the long winter months many like to hurl themselves down heaping servings of powder. But for me, nothing beats pedal power. And this glorious country offers endless opportunities for singletrack expeditions.

Dropping in at Nelson, BC.

Shredding the Gnar at Whistler

Only thing better than riding is sharing it with friends.

I've had the good fortune to have met some amazing people along the way. Another benefit of belonging to the culture of mountain biking is the ease of making friends. Ride up to strangers on a trail and say hello and minutes later you're chasing new friends down amazing mountains. I've seen corners of this country I would have sadly missed had it not been for the kindness of some wonderfully generous people. I've never been much of a planner, admittedly to a fault at times. I've always taken the, 'Just Be' approach in life. It doesn't always pan out well, and it can be frustrating for friends who want to include me in their reindeer games but feel compelled to map out their life knowing I'm going to follow the beat of my own drum. But that's just how I roll and I know no other way. And thankfully they put up with me wandering ways.

But one cannot live by mountain biking alone, and the waters beckon during hot summer days. We experienced an insane winter out here in the Western US. One of the benefits of all this water has been the amount of record snow melt causing rivers to swell with pride. This has afforded me some incredible kayaking experiences. The Virgin River through Zion Canyon, the Colorado River, and Slocan River to name a few, served up refreshing, miles-long paddle adventures.  

Sea kayaking along the Sunshine Coast.

I brought my mother's ashes along on this trip. I spread her around the Rockies from Crested Butte to British Columbia. I held on to some of her ashes with the idea that I would eventually return to the Golden Gate Bridge one day and send mom off one last swan dive into the Pacific Ocean. But I woke up one morning in the small town of Nelson, BC, overlooking Kootenay Lake and realized there would never be a more perfect place to set mom free. So I paddled out to the middle of the lake and released the rest of her ashes into the pristine waters where they would float towards Kootenay River, which is fed by the lake, then make her way to the Columbia River, and eventually to the Pacific Ocean. So mom has the country covered by land and by sea, and I get to visit her any time I like.

I've been living out of The Biscuit full time for the past three months. The positives of living on the road far outweigh any struggles that inevitably befall anyone who has no permanent address. One huge benefit of traveling west of Kansas City is the massive swath of public land available to everyone. The government owns 47% of all land in the western states, which means we the tax payers own it, which means we can camp out on this land legally for free at any time. There is nothing quite like driving down a dirt road, unsure where you might end up, then you discover a private spot next to a beautiful river, or in the shadows of an ancient rock formation.


Laramie, WY

Crested Butte, CO

Moab, UT

There's nothing new or particularly novel about Van Life. But it's become a popular new buzzword in pop culture. But the times, they are a changing. And our public lands are being slowly appropriated by the government. Certain rights about traveling freely in this country that have always been taken for granted are being threatened. And I recommend that you exercise your right to travel now. If you have always wanted to hit the road, but felt life's responsibilities have held you back, don't hesitate. There's no better time than now to take advantage of the freedom to live simply. Any concerns or fears you have about Van Life quickly vanish once you become part of the world of nomads and gypsies. Yes, you will get the occasional sideways glance. Some people just can't understand why anyone would choose to leave the comfort of a 'static' home for the uncertainties of road life. But more often than not I'm greeting by smiling faces and positive greetings.


High above Powell River, BC

Preparing for a ride in Canada means packing bear spray.

Rolling with the Holy Wow Gang in Rossland, BC.

The Biscuit is just getting started and looking forward to a long journey and new adventures. I hope this post finds you well and doing what you love.

Until next time, my friends! Peace out!
- Ian

#vanlife
#getoutandexplore
#livesimply




No comments:

Post a Comment