Monday, May 8, 2017

AZ Crazy!

Hello my strong friends!

I left Los Angeles a couple weeks ago in The Biscuit itching to 'get lost' and spend time checking out new corners of the country on my bikes.  After a stopover in Joshua Tree I made my way to Arizona to sample, once again, the legendary chunk in Sedona. But before shredding the red I decided to stop by Phoenix to visit some friends for a few days.

Now Sedona basks in the glory of having the best mountain biking in the South West, but Phoenix has been getting the shaft as far as I'm concerned. Take away the punishing heat, and more mountain bikers would surely flock to this pile of rocks. What their trail systems lack in outright size and variety is more than made up in technical and challenging terrain. PHX has some world class riding out here in the desert wasteland and it definitely forced me to up my game.

South Mountain just outside Phoenix. Rocky Goodness!

Closing in!

After a very relaxing stay at 'Chateau Jensen', where I spent as much time lounging at my friend's pool as I did pedaling, I hopped over to Prescott to visit another friend who, like me, has some hardware in his spine. Phil has had a rough couple years dealing with complications from 3, yes 3 spine surgeries, but he's finally turned the corner and is improving daily. He's a former competitive triathlete, and also like me, struggles with being off the bike. But he's making excellent progress and by summer's end I expect him to be back on the road putting miles behind him with the wind in his face.

Prescott is a quaint, friendly town situated in a valley surrounded by the beautiful Prescott National Forest. When one thinks of Arizona the first thing that comes to mind isn't Ponderosa Pines, but AZ has far more to offer than cactus and sand.

Watson Lake made for a beautiful spot to cool off after a big ride.


After a couple days the heat was getting a little rough for this West Coast boy, so I hit the road for the postcard views of Sedona. Your heart stops for a second when your eyes get their first glimpse of Red Rock. It's as if a sculptor chiseled the mountains with artisan care. But unfortunately, the heat followed me from Prescott via Phoenix. I took a peep at the forecast, and Sedona wouldn't cool down for a few days. Flagstaff on the other hand was a cool 75 degrees and sunny, so I bugged out for the Alpine Forests of Flagstaff and hid out in the mountains for a few days while waiting for Sedona to chill down. And damn I'm glad I did!

Am I in Tahoe or Arizona?

Struggling to breathe at 9,000 feet.

Like being back home.

I'd never been to Flagstaff, and for some reason I had this image of a conservative enclave of wealthy retirees. I was later corrected and realized I had confused Flagstaff for Scottsdale. Flagstaff is a picturesque town resting at 7,000 feet, with its highest peak reaching an impressive 12,600 feet. Like most college towns it has a fairly progressive feel, easy going, with a healthy selection of craft beer and outdoor activities.

I felt comfortable in Flagstaff, like I do at home in Felton. Being surrounded by mountains makes me feel welcome, at ease. Like I'm home no matter where I lay my head. I spent time asking locals questions about life in Flagstaff, and was greeted by friendly and happy people eager to speak about their hometown in glowing terms. My visit in Flagstaff was far too brief, but I have every intention of returning for a lengthy stay and have placed Flagstaff near the top of my list of potential homes.

Thank you Flagstaff! You were a welcome surprise!

Ok, where were we? Oh yeah, Sedona. The forecast was starting to look far more favorable, so I traveled the 30 miles back to Red Rock City and its now agreeable weather. I found an awesome spot to camp out for a few days just outside town on BLM land that didn't cost The Biscuit a penny.

'Red Rock Inn'

Now I'd been to Sedona once before (a mere 2 months ago). And you'd think I would have been prepared for the view when you roll into town. But as I said, the sight of the Sedona rock formations causes you to stop breathing for a moment. There is no preparing for such a vision. From every angle you are treated to postcard views. It's a visual feast, an eye-gasm, if you will.









Sedona is propped up by the tourism trade. People come from all over the world to photograph themselves under Cathedral Rock, and for good reason. But I can handle large groups of tourists for so long. So I spent only a couple days in Sedona, but I spent my time well and soaked up as much of the landscape as I could.

With legs properly cooked and The Biscuit coated in a fine layer of Red Rock Dust, I'm headed to Utah for some slick rock adventuring. Arizona has been good to me and The Biscuit, and I will definitely return for some more Alpine Adventuring in the future.

Peace out AZ!



No comments:

Post a Comment