Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Shifting gears

Hello my strong friends,

Since the beginning of my little blog that could, I've focused primarily on my recovery, with a few snippets of my personal life tossed in for flavor. Since I'm over three years removed from the surgeon's table and out living my life, I thought it might be time to change things up. So rather than focus on my day to day recovery, I'll simply post up stories from my travels. I'll be spending more time on the road this year, living out of The Biscuit, traversing mountains and sharing beers with whomever crosses my path. And as I'm sure that anyone who has been following my progress will agree, beer stories are for more interesting than how many pull ups I can muster.

Last week Bonnie and I spent her spring break (she's a teacher, don't you know) roaming the San Juan Islands and other parts of the deep PNW (Pacific North West). I've always wanted to check out the San Juans, and they didn't disappoint. We spent most of our time on Orcas Island, a popular tourist destination in the Summer, but decidedly quiet in early Spring, which made for a very relaxing trip. We had hoped to get in some kayaking where, if lucky, we might be treated to a pod of orcas. But conditions weren't conducive to paddling around the island, so we contented ourselves with lush hikes and breathtaking mountain bike rides. We also managed to land a choice, secluded spot on a beautiful lake to park the Biscuit for a few days. Somehow, hot coffee tastes even better while gazing out the double doors of the van onto a rippling mountain lake.

Watching the sun go down over Canada.


I've been living a fairly simple existence these past few years. I've given away most of my possessions, and have found a new sense of fulfillment that comes with living in a tiny home. I have what I need and little else. Except for my mountain bikes. I mean, seriously, who doesn't need multiple bikes! But living in a van for extended periods takes the minimalist lifestyle to another level. I've set up the Biscuit to accommodate at least 3 bikes underneath the bed and have built out a small garage that can handle almost any need. And of course I had to go all first class with the mattress and get a Tempurpedic. I mean, a brother's gotta get a good nights sleep!

Garage inside the Biscuit


I'm often asked how I decide what stays and what goes. It's simple, really. I keep what I actually need, hold onto a few things that have some sentimental value, and everything else is brushed aside. There's only so many pairs of pants a person really needs. I find no joy in the accumulation of things, and a light life is a far easier and more fulfilling life. So the Biscuit has everything I need or want in order to lead a comfortable life while traveling.



Breakfast is served!

Bonnie getting her shred on by the lake.

Moss! Everywhere, wonderful moss!

Orcas Island magical mist!

I'll be hitting the road in a couple weeks for an extended road trip. I'm currently in Portland, but will be heading home to Santa Cruz for a few days before rolling out for the western states. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. So consider this my first of many reports from the road.

Peace out, bean sprouts!


3 comments:

  1. Some solid writing there....enjoyed seeing snippets from that wacky brain of yours. Enjoy your adventures this Spring! I'll be riding with you in spirit until Summer....and don't you forget to pick me up in the Biscuit outside school at exactly 3:30PM on June 26!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be waiting outside school with the engine revving!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete