Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Body Weights

It's been years since I touched a dead weight (barbell, dumbell, etc). As far as I'm concerned we have all the weight we need to push or pull right here in our flesh and blood. So earlier this year I finally felt comfortable enough to start a body weight campaign to get my strength back - push ups, pull ups, dips, using all sorts of creative apparatus to move this lanky frame around.

Thankfully, calisthenics parks are popping up all over the place, taking advantage of the new wave of fitness geeks who would rather bask in the sunshine as they wince and strain than sit in a dimly lit box, sweating to bad techno music. Now its taken a few months to get to a point where I can truly push myself without fear of popping something, and I'm finally at the point where I can start getting creative. So Ive set some goals for myself this year.

By years end I'll be able to do:
Muscle up - No kipping crap, but a true and strict muscle up.
Planche - this will be harder on my shoulders than anything else.
Archer/walk step pull up - Just because it looks so damn cool

As luck would have it, there's a pretty decent calisthenics spot at UCSC overlooking the Monterey Bay (rough life, I know). It offers most of what I need to GET STRONG, and these mini bars are great for a variety of exercises, including curled-up dips only people with short legs can really master. But I thought I'd give it a shot.





To pushing your body around!


Peace out my strong friends!

- I


1 comment: