Sunday, August 24, 2014

Home Sweet Home

I'm all moved into my new place, affectionately called, "The Birdhouse'. It's a tiny cabin on a property in lovely Felton, California where several other people call home as well. In the main house there's a young newlywed couple with plans to open a Boba Tea shop, a talented musician, a bike rep, and a single mom and her 4 (and a half) year old son in another, larger cabin. The neighborhood is nestled into the redwoods and is across the road from Henry Cowell state park with endless hiking and mountain biking opportunities. Now I just gotta get my back ready for riding!

A home fit for a Hobbit!

I report to my new job tomorrow morning. While I can swim hard and fast for over a mile and eek out a strenuous 7 mile hike, sitting still gives me fits. Being stationary is the most difficult thing for me to handle right now. So I'm not sure how I'm going to feel after a day at a desk. I imagine a lot of laps around the office during the day. While I'm not looking forward to the sedentary nature of work, it's been a while since I've been in the workplace, so it will feel good to shake the rust off.

Felton is next to Santa Cruz, a small town of about 6k people where downtown stretches all of three blocks. Quite a dramatic shift from Los Angeles. I went to school in Santa Cruz 25 years ago and it's incredible how little has changed in that time. This will be a perfect opportunity to slow down (if it's even possible to slow any further) and focus even more on my recovery. I'm looking at the next 6 months as a pivotal period in my life and look forward to the coming seasons of change.

Benjamin and I both agree...Santa Cruz rocks!

Peace!







No comments:

Post a Comment